Saturday, April 17, 2010

Yogurt!

OMIGOD!
I made yogurt!  I feel like I did the first time I baked bread. These things are more chemistry (or, acutally, more alchemy) than cooking.

After last week's abysmal failure at making yogurt, I decided to buck up, buy good ingredients, follow directions slavishly, and do it right all-around... I also decided to follow a slightly different recipe / method.  You, too can follow it, here.

So, on to the good stuff.... milk.
Now, I'm not a big fan of milk. I love my cheese, don't get me wrong, but I just don't groove on milk. We get our milk delivered from the nice people at Smith Brothers, who do us right. But the problem is that we get organic milk delivered, and I've come to understand that organic milk is, almost always, ultra-pasteurized - - which means that it won't grow our little yogurt beasties.

So, to the fancy-dancy grocery store we go, to buy fancy-dancy milk. Pretty milk.  Whole milk.



Say what you want to about milk, but it's really hard to resist when it comes packaged so beautifully.  Not only that... it wasn't homogenized, so it had really pretty cream floating to the surface. Taste it... taste it!


Yum.

Into the crock pot it went. On Hi for an hour and a half. Then, I set it out to cool until it reached a temp of 110F (about two hours with the crock outside the electrical business).  It got a yellow buttery skimmy top.

After it cooled down, I set my oven to preheat to 170F, the lowest temp it will go to.

While my oven was preheating, I took a half cup of yogurt with live active cultures and put it in a bowl. I added some of the warm milk...
...and mixed it together to temper the yogurt - - to get the little beasties happy with the warm bath they were about to take.  Then, the whole business got mixed into the warm milk, and I put the crock pot crock into the oven. Turned off the oven. Turned on the light.



And walked away.

Seriously - we went for a walk at the track.  Well, Bella went for a run. She tried to challenge the track team kids, but they smoked her.


About six hours later...



YOGURT!  And, oh, is it good yogurt. Now, part of that is because of the whole milk. But part of it is that stuff-is-really-really-good-when-you-make-it-at-home thing... it's like the difference between homemade chocolate chip cookies and Chips Ahoy.

Breakfast...



mmmmmmmmmm.

I have to say: It was so easy to make, and so rewarding, that this is definitely going to be something we do all the time now.  Fresh fruit season is right around the corner, and we're trying to kybosh sugar as much as we can, so it's all just perfect.

You really should try this. It requires very very little hands-on time, and produces great results.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, forgot to add this: Next time I want to make more yogurt, I can use what I made as my starter yogurt. Pretty cool... I'll have generations of yogurt beasties that owe their existence to me!!! Bwahahahahahaaaaaaaa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah ha! Thanks for this, I learned some things! That how-to link was great. Did not know about the ultra-pasteurization thing! Great to know about the dry milk powder. And freezing the starter! Brilliant! I will have to try this again armed with my new info...

    Love the new blog, too! Can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow ... nice blog ... you reminded me of when I was a twenty something living in an ancient log cabin in Boston Harbor, WA (Near Olympia) I used to make yogurt & cooked nearly all of the recipes out of "Laurel's Kitchen" a well known California flower child cookbook. Thanks, for the memories ... I wonder what happenend to that old yogurt making jar and the quilted cozy that went around it to keep it warm while it had a "cultural experience". If I didn't break it ... Perhaps it's lost in storage waiting in the precambrian layer. Hmmm?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks really yummy! And the milk IS very pretty.

    ReplyDelete